If you are thinking of travelling abroad, you will definitely want to be able to offer your assistance if necessary. When at the airport, you may want to help someone put their bags in the overhead lockers once they have boarded the plane. Or, in a big city, you could come across someone who is having difficulties finding a monument and offer to help them get their bearings in the city.

But the opposite can also be true. What happens if you are at the airport and can’t find your gate or have had an accident and need assistance? It is common to ask for and offer help – that is why you should know how a number of different ways to do so in English. Shall we begin?

Offering Help in English

In some languages, there is not a wide variety of expressions that can be used to offer assistance. In English, however, the situation is more complicated since English has many expressions to offer help. Each expression has a precise and nuanced meaning and is only used in particular situations. Here we have created a list of expressions you can use to offer help in English, starting with the most formal.

Offering Help Interrogatives

May I (do something)?
May is a modal verb that indicates a possibility, a concession, or a request. In its interrogative form, may can be a very formal way of offering help.
May I offer you my help?
May I carry your bag for you?

Would you like me to (do something)?
Would … like is the conditional form of like which can be used to express an offer of help to someone. It is a formal and kind way to express yourself.
Would you like me to open the window?
Would you like me to bring you a drink?

Can I (do something)?
The modal verb can is used to offer help somewhat less formally while still being kind. This means you can use it with friends as well as strangers. It is a warm way of showing your desire to do something for the other person.
Can I bring you a dessert?
Can I give you a lift?

Do you want me to (do something)?
It is less formal than the previous forms, this interrogative is no less kind. It is used when you are not completely sure of the answer your offer will receive.
Do you want me to go for you?
Do you want me to come to pick you up?

Shall I (do something)?
This verb does not have very widespread use, especially in the United States, where it has practically disappeared. It is only used for first person singular and plural. It is an encouraging way to express your wish to assist someone.
Shall I turn off the radio?
Shall I help you with your homework?

Offering Help Affirmatives


I’d be happy to (do something)
This construction is a very formal way of offering your help. It is often used in the workplace or between people who do not know each other well.
I’d be happy to reschedule the appointment.
I’d be happy to go with you.

I can (do something)
The modal verb can is a kind way to offer help to someone, in both its interrogative and affirmative forms.
I can write this email for you.
I can go buy some coffee if you want.

Let me (do something)
This expression is a kind but informal way of offering assistance to someone.
Let me help you with your jacket.
Let me find out if it’s true.

I will (do something)
The simple future represents an informal way to offer aid. Use it with people who you know well and who will be happy to accept your help.
I’ll go shopping for you.
I’ll go to the chemist’s/pharmacy for you.

In summary, here are some expressions of Offering Service/Help, Accepting and Refusing Service/Help:


Offering Service/Help

What can I do for you?
Can I help you?
Can I do something for you?
Do you want something to eat?
Shall I get you something to read?

Accepting Service/Help (Menerima jasa/Bantuan)

Thank you.
That’s very kind of you.
Thanks (very much).
Lovely.

Refusing Service/Help (Menolak Jasa/Bantuan)

No, thank you.
That’s very kind of you, but …
Thank you for offering, but …
No, it’s all right, really.
No, really, I can manage (thanks).

These expressions are all great options to either offer or request help in English. However, it is important to know that there are no strict rules. The best way to learn the appropriate expression for each occasion is to practice.


Here is the example of the expressions in the dialogue:

Situation: Mr. George is cleaning his garden. He uses many gardening tools such as sickle, hoe, spade, and big scissors. Billy is offering a help.
Billy                : “What are you doing, Dad?”
Mr. George     : “I am going to plant some vegetables”
Billy                : “Can I help you?” (offering)
Mr. George      : “Yes, please clean the soil from the grass after I hoe them.” (accepting)
Billy                : “Certainly, Dad”


 To check your understanding about this material, please watch the video and do the quiz given.
Happy learning…


QUIZ
Instruction: Read the questions and choose the best answer!
1. John: Hello, Jean. Where have you been?
    Jean: Hi, John. I just bought few kilograms of apples in the market.
    John: Do you need some help to carry the apples?
    Jean: _______
    The suitable respond to complete the dialogue is ….
     A. I don’t know
     B. Why?
     C. Of course, that’s very kind of you
     D. I will help you
     E. Good bye
2. Ronald: You look so busy. _______
    Marry: No, thank you. I can handle them.
    The suitable expression to complete the dialogue is ….
    A. I will leave you alone
    B. Would you like some help?
    C. Do you want to help me?
    D. Sure, I would like to
    E. Yes, please
3. Andy: I heard there will be a concert tonight. Would you like to go with me?
    Sam : I’m afraid I cannot.
    Andy: Why? I think you really love the band.
    Sam : Yes, I do. But I have many works at home.
    Andy: Let me help you, then.
    Sam : ___________
    Andy: Never mind. That’s what friend should do.
What should Sam say?
A. I really appreciate your help
B. I don’t need your help
C. I am fine, thank you
D. I will go, too
E. Don’t worry
Complete the dialogue below (question 4 and 5)
Judy: Good morning, Sir. Do you have science book about animal anatomy?
Shopkeeper: Of course, dear. We have the book that you want. ______ (4) to show the shelf?
Judy: I am fine, Sir. I can find by myself. I have other books to find, too.
Shopkeeper: ________(5). Take your time.
Judy: Thank you, Sir.
4. The suitable expression to complete the dialogue is …..
    A. I would like
    B. Can you
    C. Do not go
    D. Would you like me
    E. May I
5. What should the shopkeeper say?
    A. I am busy
    B. Sorry
    C. Thank you
    D. Will you go?
    E. That’s okay
6. Romy : Sir, would you like me to close the window for you?
    Mr. Arthur: Yes, please. It’s very cold inside.
    The underlined sentence express:
    A. Asking help
    B. Offering help
    C. Refusing something
    D. Accepting an offer
    E. Suggestion
7. Ela: Mom, do you need some help? You look so busy this morning.
    Mom: Of course, dear.
    I need another pair of hands to wash the dish.
    The underlined sentence expresses ….
    A. Accepting help
    B. Offering help
    C. Refusing help
    D. Looking for something
    E. Apologizing
8. Bob: Sony, will you join me to build a birdhouse?
    Sony: Sure, _______. I am really excited.
    Complete the dialogue above with right expression ….
    A. I don’t want to.
    B. I am busy today
    C. I will
    D. I will not
    E. I have to go
9. Ryo : Sir, I think I’m lost.
    Ocid: ………………………..
    A. Let me help you carrying your motorcycle.
    B. Can I help you? I know this place.
    C. May I help you? I have a phone too.
    D. Shall I clean your mirror?
    E. Would I help you?
10. Satrio: I don’t understand chemistry at all.
      Beni : ……………………………
      A. How about having dinner with me?
      B. How about going to the beach?
      C. How about studying together with me?
      D. How about calling the police?
      E. How about visitingg the garden?

4 Comments

  1. Nama saya agung dari smkn 2 Depok mau tanya,apakah jika hanya mengucapakan may i help you?saja dapat di katakan offering help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hai Agung..terima kasih atas pertanyaannya..
      Betul sekali, dengan hanya mengucapkan "May I help You" berarti Agung sudah dikatakan menawarkan bantuan (offering help). Nanti biasanya akan langsung di respon oleh lawan bicara, apakah dia membutuhkan bantuan atau tidak.

      Delete
  2. Assalamualaikum Mrs.Deini,my name is Juli from SMAN 5 Depok,I want to ask, if I meet my business partner but he is my peer, I better use what kind of words to ask him for help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumsalam Juli..thank you for asking. Well, as we know that when learning about expressions, there are formal and informal expression. We use formal expression to someone who is older than us, someone who is higher in position than us, or someone we have just met. On the other hand, we use informal expression to someone who is at the same age like we are or younger than us, our friends, or someone we know well.
      In your case, you have to see how close you are with your peer. If you are not close enough, it is better to use formal expressions because you are discussing about business with him/her.
      I hope my answer is clear enough for you.

      Delete